FAA Requirements

FAA Requirements

faa requirements

If you’re interested in using an agricultural sprayer drone to spray crops in the United States, you’ll need to obtain specific licenses from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and your state’s regulatory agency. Agricultural sprayer drones are growing in popularity among farmers and crop dusters because they can spray crops accurately, use less pesticides, and improve efficiency.

Here’s what you need to know about the licenses required to fly and spray with an agricultural sprayer drone in the US:

FAA Part 107 Drone Pilot License

To fly an agricultural sprayer drone, you’ll need to hold an FAA Part 107 drone pilot license. This license confirms that you have the skills and knowledge to fly a drone safely and legally in the National Airspace System. You’ll need to be at least 16 years old, pass an aeronautical knowledge test, and undergo a security screening by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to obtain a Part 107 license.

FAA Part 137 License

In addition to the Part 107 license, you’ll also need to obtain an FAA Part 137 license to operate an agricultural sprayer drone. This license is the same one used by crop dusters for aerial application and covers the specific regulations that apply to spraying agricultural chemicals from an aircraft. The Part 137 license ensures that you understand the safety and environmental considerations involved in spraying crops from the air.

Part 137 Exemption

If your drone weighs over 55 pounds, you’ll need to obtain an exemption from some parts of the Part 137 regulations. You can apply for this exemption through the FAA’s regulations.gov website. To receive it, you’ll need to demonstrate that your drone can operate safely without posing a risk to people or property on the ground. Once you receive your Part 137 exemption for your specific drone model, you can contact your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) to apply for the Part 137 license.

Aerial Commercial Applicator License

In addition to the FAA licenses, you’ll also need to obtain an aerial commercial applicator license from your state’s regulatory agency to spray chemicals aerially using a drone. The requirements for this license may differ depending on your state. You’ll likely need to demonstrate that you have the necessary knowledge and training to apply pesticides safely and effectively from the air. This may include completing an approved training program, passing an exam, and demonstrating your skills in a field test. You may also need to show that you have liability insurance and are in compliance with all relevant environmental regulations.

Translate ยป